1. Comment on the location, occasion or event. For example, look around and see if there is anything you could talk about. Examples are something like: “Isn’t this such an incredible view!”, or “Isn’t that a really cute dog!”
2. Ask open-ended questions. Most people love to talk about themselves. An open question requires a more detailed response. That is, something more than of just a simple yes or no. Open questions tend to begin with who, when, what, why, where, and how.
3. Ask the person about their pets. This is a great way start a conversation as people are usually very fond of their pets.
4. Talk about some current events. You’ll need to read or watch the news to help you with this.
5. If you have met the person before, draw on any previous conversations you’ve had. This not only gives you something to talk about, but it also shows that you paid attention when you talked to them before.
6. Try and stick to questions that are easy to answer as that makes the conversation easier for the person. An example might be “what are you doing during the holiday?”
7. Be sensitive about the kinds of questions you ask. They mustn’t be too personal or sensitive in nature. Also, avoid touchy topics, and try to keep things light.